FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before touching your earrings or ears.
- Cleanse the front and back of the ears 2 times a day with the aftercare solution provided without removing your earrings. Leave them a minute so any sharp scab has time to soften, then rotate your earrings 2 or 3 times, 90º left and 90º right, i.e. a quarter turn only, thus avoiding hair wrapping around the post at the back of the lobe. In between cleansing, the ear should be kept DRY.
- Keep hair spray, soap, shampoo and other preparations away from the ears. After shampooing, the ear should be rinsed with clean water and then cleansed with aftercare solution as described above.
- The piercings should be cleansed with the aftercare solution, then kept DRY, especially after bathing, swimming or exercise.
- Don’t remove the earrings or handle your ears and/or earrings unnecessarily.
- Don’t push the earring back along the post towards the ear – the back must always be positioned of the tip of the post. Feel the position each time you clean the ear – it must feel smooth. This ensures that the earring remains LOOSE during the healing period. This is essential as too tight may lead to inflammation.
- Leave studs in the ears for 6 weeks continuously.
BETWEEN 6 WEEKS & 6 MONTHS:
- After 6 weeks you can change your earrings, but you should wear post earrings continuously for the first 6 months. The earrings you were pierced with are great to wear to bed.
- If you find it difficult to change your earrings for the first time, call in and we’ll change them for free. You can either buy the new earrings from us or you can bring your own good quality earrings with you.
- If you need a free pair of clear plastic earrings for school or work, they are available from the studio.
- The posts should be surgical stainless steel or other hypo-allergenic material. Don’t use cheap metals or silver.
- Don’t wear heavy or dangly earrings. If you must wear dangly earrings for a special event, make sure they have a stud post.
Minor pain/redness may occur immediately – this is normal, this will settle within 48 hours provided proper after-care is carried out. If undue pain/swelling/redness occurs at any time, seek medical advice before removing the earrings.